Windows 8: Don’t buy the hype
Here’s some of the Windows 8 “features” Microsoft won’t tell you about:
- Restricts freedom: Windows 8 is proprietary software. At its core, it is designed to control you as a user. You can’t modify Windows 8 or see how it is built, which means Microsoft can use its operating system to exploit users and benefit special interests.
- Invades privacy: Windows 8 includes software that inspects the contents of your hard drive, and Microsoft claims the right to do this without warning. These programs have misleading names like “Windows Genuine Advantage.”
- Exposes personal data: Windows 8 has a contacts cache that experts fear may store sensitive personal data and make users vulnerable to identity theft.
Microsoft wants to keep you locked in to Windows so that it can take your money, your personal data, and your user freedom. They don’t want you to know that you have a choice of better operating systems; operating systems that respect your freedom. There are tons of free “as in freedom” software operating systems that you can download and install at no cost. And when they’re improved, you can choose whether or not you want to upgrade, without a corporation breathing down your neck.
It is time to upgrade your computer, but not to Windows 8. Pledge to free your computer today!
News and Blog Posts:
- Blog post with photos: GNU strikes again: FSF surprises Boston Microsoft store
- Press release: Gnu comes bearing gifts, draws shoppers from Microsoft store
- Blog post with photos: GNUs trick-or-treat at Windows 8 launch
- Press release: Activists trick-or-treat for free software at Windows 8 launch event
Get Started with Free Software:
Did you receive a Trisquel GNU/Linux disk from us?
- Instructions to set up your free operating system.
- For more info about Trisquel, check out trisquel.info. For a copy of Trisquel’s source code, including licenses, email firstname.lastname@example.org or send a letter and $5 to our address.