Ending the drone killing machines and the wars are worthy efforts!
I request you Blog, call government officials, file legal complaints, chat with military personnel, and just say something to END THE DRONE WARS.
I send my heart filled gratitude to Dr Stuart Jeanne Bramhall, for her blog post/VT report that alerted me to this legal pursuit for justice that connects to the many efforts from all regions on the world to end the Drone Wars. I was holding off on sharing the drone stories until I read her report about the Pakistani legal complaint saga/story.
WOW, this story has legs and stamina to have survived from 2009!
Obviously the story is not going away, and either a criminal conviction or acquittal will be judged by the Pakistani court.
I speculate the White House will issue pardons, and at some future event a real independent People’s Grand Jury will void government pardons and convict guilty officials, executives and their agents for crimes they committed.
Recently U.S. military Veterans launched a campaign for pilots to stop remote-flying their killing drones.
See excerpts below or click links for full reports. ~Ron
Deadly US drone strike violated civilian protections promised by Obama
Published time: February 20, 2014 http://rt.com/usa/deadly-us-drone-strike-yemen-958/
“The United States may have killed up to 12 civilians during a drone strike in Yemen last year, possibly violating both international law and the Obama administration’s own targeted killing policy, according to a report by Human Rights Watch.
While US officials have claimed the December 2013 strike only killed members of Al-Qaeda, witnesses of the incident told HRW that the US actually ended up targeting a wedding procession. The witnesses said everyone killed and injured was a civilian.
For its part, the report found that the group targeted was indeed a wedding convoy, though it also allowed for the possibility that militants – whose identities are still unknown – were part of the group. Regardless, the report suggests that at least some civilian casualties were involved.
At least 12 men were killed as a result of the four Hellfire missiles launched at 11 vehicles, while another 15 were injured. Both US and Yemeni officials have also stated that the primary target of the strike, an Al-Qaeda leader named Shawqi Ali Ahmad al-Badani, was not killed and managed to escape.” [Read full]
U.S. Veterans Launch Anti-Drone Commercials
‘Drone pilots, please, refuse to fly’: U.S. vets launch anti-UAV ads campaign
Posted 5 April 2015
Anti-drone campaign ads have hit television screens in the US, with the aim of ending the deadly attacks. The commercials were paid for by none other than U.S. military veterans.
Pakistani journalist sues CIA for drone strike that killed relatives
Karim Khan is seeking $500m damages for death of two relatives in drone attack in North Waziristan
By Declan Walsh in Islamabad Monday 13 December 2010
A Pakistani journalist whose relatives were killed in a US drone strike has started a legal push to charge America’s top spy in Pakistan with murder.
“We appeal to the authorities not to let Jonathan Banks escape from Pakistan,” said Karim Khan, naming the alleged CIA station chief in Islamabad. “He should be arrested and executed in this country.”
Khan was speaking outside an Islamabad police station after lodging an application to prevent the US official from leaving Pakistan. He has lodged a separate civil suit seeking $500m (£314m) in damages from the US government.
Khan says that his brother and son, both government employees, were killed in a CIA drone strike on their home near Mir Ali in North Waziristan in December 2009.
Press reports named the target as Haji Omar, a leading Taliban commander. Khan insists that Omar was not in the house and that his relatives were innocent. “These men had nothing to do with the Taliban,” said his lawyer, Shahzad Akbar.
Pakistan court says former CIA station chief will face charges over drone strike
Jon Boone in Islamabad Tuesday 7 April 2015
Islamabad high court orders murder charges be brought against Jonathan Banks and former CIA lawyer John A Rizzo for 2009 strike that killed at least three
The former head of the CIA in Pakistan should be tried for murder and waging war against the country, a high court judge ruled on Tuesday.
Criminal charges against Jonathan Banks, the former CIA station chief in Islamabad, were ordered in relation to a December 2009 attack by a US drone which reportedly killed at least three people.
Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui of the Islamabad high court also ruled charges should be brought against John A Rizzo, formerly the top CIA lawyer who gave the legal green light for drone strikes.
Banks’s name was first dragged into the public domain in 2010 when a tribesman called Karim Khan began legal action against the supposedly undercover spy chief over an attack by an unmanned aircraft on his home in North Waziristan which he said killed his brother and son.
The extraordinary unmasking of a sitting station chief forced Banks to quit his post and leave the country.
Banks went on to become the head of the Iran operations divisions at the CIA’s headquarters and currently works in the US military’s intelligence wing.
Former CIA Station Chief to Face Murder Charges
According to the Guardian, Pakistan’s high court justice Shaukat Asiz Siddi has ruled that murder charges be brought against Jonathan Banks, the former CIA station chief in Islamabad. The charges relate to CIA drone strikes against innocent civilians in North Waziristan. It’s an extremely explosive story, which the US media has largely ignored.
Siddiqui also ordered criminal charges brought against John A Rizzo, the former CIA lawyer who signed off on the legality of drone strikes against Pakistan. [Read full]